Woman Killed by Wrong-Way Driver on Texas Highway
Driver of Pickup Truck Survived
An eyewitness told ABC 13 that he tried to get the wrong-way driver’s attention, but he couldn’t match his speed. The pickup truck driver entered the eastbound Highway 225 lanes speeding westbound when he slammed head on into a woman’s car.
When the two vehicles collided, they burst into flames. Police say the wreck occurred around 3:00 a.m. Friday morning, according to ABC 13.
Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics
According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT),
- In 2014, there were 3,534 motor vehicle traffic fatalities in the state of Texas.
- There were 13,675 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2014, resulting in 17,152 people sustaining a serious injury.
- There were 581 people killed in head-on crashes in 2014.
- In 2014, there were 1,041 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol.
- This is 29% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.