Women Receives 10 Years Probation for Fatal Austin Drunk Driving Accident
A woman was sentenced to 180 days in jail and 10 years of probation for a drunk driving crash that killed a man in Austin in 2018.
Drunk Driver Fled the Scene After Fatal Red River Crash
According to KXAN, Olivia Gruwell, now 25, admitted to drinking between six and nine alcoholic beverages before hitting a man on a Moped on Feb. 9, 2018. Both Gruwell and the driver of the Moped, Timothy Boykin, were traveling north on Red River when the crash happened.
Gruwell fled the scene. Boykin was found by police on the side of the road. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
When Gruwell’s vehicle was found, it still had Boykin’s Moped underneath it. Gruwell had also hit her neighbor’s fence when arriving home.
Gruwell ultimately pleaded guilty to intoxication manslaughter.
Gruwell’s attorney noted that Gruwell was a first-time offender. Now 25, she was sentenced to 180 days in jail, 10 years of probation, and 300 hours of community service. Her license has been permanently revoked, and she will pay $425 in court fees.
Texas Drunk Driving Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Speak with an Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been involved in a crash with a drunk driver, call Thomas J. Henry Law now.
Drunk driving crashes are completely preventable. When a person decides to get behind the wheel while intoxicated, they must be held accountable for the pain and damage they cause. Thomas J. Henry Law can help you ensure you receive the justice you deserve.
We will fight to secure fair compensation for your accident, injuries, and damages. Do not wait, call now. Our drunk driving accident attorneys are standing by to assist you.