According to WHIO, a man was injured on the job after being pinned between two forklifts at a manufacturing company in Englewood, Ohio, on Tuesday morning.
Details of Workplace Accident
Officials responded to a call of a worker stuck underneath a forklift at the VAP Packaging Management building on 44 Lau Parkway at around 10:00 a.m. local time. A medical helicopter was hailed, but due to poor weather conditions, it was unable to assist with the manufacturing accident.
WHIO reports that two forklifts collided, causing one of the worker’s extremities to become pinned underneath one of the forklifts. A surgical team was brought in to assist with the man’s extrication.
The man was taken to the hospital with serious injuries, reports WHIO. No further information is available on the man’s condition.
On the Job Accident Statistics
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA),
- In 2014, 4,821 workers died on the job.
- On average, more than 92 workers died every week.
- Out of 4,386 worker fatalities in the private industry in 2014, 899 died in construction accidents.
- 39 out of the 899 (4.3%) deaths were due to a worker being caught-in/between equipment or an object.
- The leading cause of private sector worker deaths in the construction industry is falls (39.9%).