A 29-year-old construction worker was killed Thursday morning when she was struck by a vehicle while working on the in a construction zone along 1604 near Hausman. The adverse driver fled the scene.
Details of the San Antonio Hit-and-Run
KSAT reports that Tracie Sheppard, 29, was part of a crew clearing road signs from a previous road closure at around 3:45 am when a dark gray Ford Explorer veered off the road and hit a construction truck. Sheppard became pinned between two vehicles and was killed.
Sheppard had parked her company truck on the right shoulder of the expressway, and her warning lights were on at the time of the fatal collision.
According to witnesses, the driver fled the scene and the driver did not stop to render aid.
The suspect has since been located by police.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.