Common Causes of 18-Wheeler Accidents in Corpus Christi
Accidents involving 18-wheeler and semis have a variety of causes, and even a single accident can have more than one cause or contributing factor. Among the causes most commonly cited in Corpus Christi 18-wheeler accident reports are:
- Driver drowsiness
- Driver fatigue
- Poor or improper training
- Aggressive driving
- Distracted driving
- Driver inattention
- Dangerous lane changes
- Improper turns
- Unsafe following distance
- Poorly maintained vehicles and/or equipment
No matter the cause of your 18-wheeler crash, it is always best to speak with an attorney about your legal options. Even if you believe you may have been partially at fault for the collision, you can still acquire compensation if it is determined that the truck driver was more at fault than you.
Determining Who Is Responsible for Your 18-Wheeler Accident Injuries
Another way 18-wheeler accident lawsuits differ from regular car accident lawsuits is who can be held at fault for your accident and injuries. In a Corpus Christi car crash lawsuit, the person responsible for your injuries is normally the person driving the car that caused the accident. 18-wheeler accident cases are different in that they often have multiple defendants with the driver’s employer bearing some portion of the responsibility.
Companies are required by law to take certain steps to ensure their drivers are properly trained and act in a responsible manner when operating a commercial vehicle. They are also responsible for making sure their drivers follow state and federal regulations concerning the total number of hours a commercial driver can work and how much time a driver can spend behind the wheel of a commercial vehicle without a break. If a driver is found to be in violation of any of these laws, their employer may share liability for your accident and injuries. This means you would actually be suing both the driver of the 18-wheeler and their employer.
When you speak with one of Thomas J. Henry Law’s Corpus Christi semi accident lawyers, they will begin taking immediate action to investigate your accident and preserve evidence for your claim. This includes reviewing company training materials, driver logs, and dispatch records for any inconstancies or potential violations.
Injuries You Can Sue for Following a Corpus Christi 18-Wheeler Accident
While 18-wheeler accidents can have many causes, every 18-wheeler accident has the capability of resulting in serious injuries and death. Among the most common injuries reported in 18-wheeler accidents in Corpus Christi, Texas are:
- Traumatic head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Fractures and soft tissue injuries
- Vital organ injuries
Worse still is that the full extent of your semi accident injuries may not be immediately evident and may worsen in the weeks, months, and even years to come. For this reason, Thomas J. Henry Law partners with leading expert witnesses who can demonstrate how your injuries may worsen over time, resulting in future medical expenses and difficulties.
Damages You Can Sue for Following a Corpus Christi 18-Wheeler Accident
The damages you are able to recover following an 18-wheeler accident will depend on the circumstances of your accident and the injuries that occured. Our attorneys will review all facets of your case to ensure you are in the best position to recover maximum compensation. Damages sought in your 18-wheeler accident lawsuit may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Vehicle repair costs
- Future medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
If your accident was the result of especially reckless behavior, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. Punitive damages are an exemplary form of damages that seek to punish the at-fault party and serve as a deterrent against others behaving in a similar manner in the future.
What to Ask When Hiring an 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer in Corpus Christi
18-wheeler accident lawsuits are complicated. If you want your lawsuit to be successful, it all starts with making the right decision on which attorney to hire. There are a number of factors to consider when choosing an attorney to handle your 18-wheeler accident lawsuit. Among the most important are:
- How much trial experience does the attorney have? There is no substitute for trial experience when it comes to complex commercial litigation. The lawyers defending the trucking company will have argued numerous cases in front of judges and juries. Make sure your attorney has extensive trial experience, a history of success in the courtroom, and understands the nuances of courtroom procedures and juror interaction.
- What resources does the attorney have available to them? 18-wheeler companies invest a lot of money into their legal departments, and some smaller firms are just unable to compete with a well-financed defense team. Make sure your attorney has invested in their attorneys, legal staff, case management systems, and trial technology before letting them handle your case. Also, make sure your attorney has the money to fight the long fight. Trials are expensive and some companies may try to outspend your attorney or slowplay your claim so that mounting legal expenses drive them into accepting a lower settlement.
- Does the attorney work with expert witnesses? The effective use of expert witnesses can add credibility and value to your claim. Expert witnesses can provide insight on rules or regulations the 18-wheeler company may have breached, they can detail the events that resulted in your collision, and they can demonstrate the severity of your injuries (physical and otherwise in a way that a jury will understand.
If at any time you do not feel an attorney has your best interest in mind or if you feel that the attorney simply lacks the ability to successfully resolve your claim, take your leave. You deserve the best representation available, and you deserve an attorney who will fight for your financial recovery as well as your physical recovery and general wellness.
Things to Look Out for When Suing an 18-Wheeler Company
In most cases, an 18-wheeler company will attempt to distance itself from an accident and any potential liability. This could mean throwing their own driver under the bus or even trying to push the responsibility of the accident onto you. By working with our Corpus Christi 18-wheeler accident attorneys, you are taking the first steps in ensuring your rights and your claim to fair financial compensation are protected.
Among the things to look out for when suing an 18-wheeler accident company are:
- Recorded Statements – Following a crash with an 18-wheeler, you may be contacted by the trucking company’s insurer for a recorded statement. They will try to convince you that your statement will be used to help them better understand your accident and injuries, the truth is they are trying to get you on record saying something that can be used to challenge your case. It is essential that you speak with an experienced lawyer prior to providing such a statement. Do not let them bully you! You have no legal obligation to answer the insurer’s questions without the advice of an attorney.
- Low Settlement Offers – Remember, the 18-wheeler company’s insurer works for the 18-wheeler company, not you. As such, they will try to settle your claim for as little as possible. While it may be tempting, do not accept the insurer’s offer without first consulting with an attorney. The insurer knows you are stressed and confused about what to do, and they will take advantage of you in order to pay out less than your claim is worth.
- Not Ordering a Drug or Alcohol Test – In the event of an 18-wheeler crash, a company may tell their driver not to submit to a drug or alcohol if they think their driver was impaired at the time of the crash. Faced with the prospect of a career-ending mistake, the driver may go along with the company. Federal regulations actually require drivers to get tested following a crash, but the fine for disregarding this regulation is much less damaging than the repercussions of a trucker driving under the influence. Your attorney will ensure that the 18-wheeler company and its driver are subjected to all federal regulations. If they refuse, then your attorney will document their failure and use it to build your case.
- Slowplaying your Claim – 18-wheeler accidents are expensive, and it’s your dollars against those of the 18-wheeler company. Some larger companies may determine it is less expensive to delay or slowplay your claim in the hopes that your will fold under the pressure of medical bills, living expenses, and lost wages. Thomas J. Henry Law has the money to take on the largest companies in the world. Further, because we work on a contingency fee basis, you do not pay us any attorney’s fees unless and until we win your claim. We can even advance money on qualified cases to assist with day-to-day expenses pending the resolution of your claim.
- Destroying Evidence – As immoral (and illegal) as it is, some companies will attempt to destroy evidence and alter records in order to hide their mistakes. Again, they are betting on the chance that they either won’t get caught or that the penalties for these wrongdoings are less costly than paying you a fair settlement. Our attorneys can file court-ordered temporary restraining orders to preserve any and all evidence in the state it was in at the time of your accident.
Speak to an Experienced Corpus Christi 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been involved in an 18-wheeler accident in the Coastal Bend or a surrounding community, do not risk your claim to compensation – Call Thomas J. Henry Law now. Thomas J. Henry Law has personal injury attorneys in Corpus Christi ready to assist you.
When you call Thomas J. Henry Law, our goal is to help you on all roads to recovery, financial and otherwise. In addition to handling your case, we want to reduce your stress, make sure all of your injuries are being diagnosed, ensure you are getting proper medical attention, and that you are able to get your life back on track as quickly as possible. According to Thomas J. Henry, “The client’s job is to heal. Our job is to handle the rest.”
Thomas J. Henry Law has been recognized nationwide for its efforts to help injured victims and its ability to win personal injury cases. In 2019, the Readers of the Alice Echo-News Journal named Thomas J. Henry the Best Personal Injury Attorney in the Corpus Christi area. That same year, Newsweek.com recognized Thomas J. Henry Law as one of the nation’s Premier Law Firms.
Contact us today for a FREE case consultation with a licensed 18-wheeler accident attorney in Corpus Christi. Attorneys are standing by.
Our Corpus Christi Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 361-254-7873 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 521 Starr Street, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401 (walk-in Monday through Friday)