Common Causes of Corpus Christi Trucking Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the vast majority of fatal accidents involving semi-trucks occur between 6 AM and 6 PM during the week. Roads are busiest during these times, especially on Corpus Christi roadways such as SPID, Crosstown Expressway, and Interstate 37.
With roadways congested with other drivers, any of the following actions from a large truck can lead to a serious crash:
- Distracted driving, including talking on the phone or texting
- Drowsy driving
- Dangerous lane changes and turns
- Improper following distance
- Failure to maintain vehicle
- Aggressive driving
- Unsafe following distance
- Poor or improper training
Trucking accidents in Corpus Christi occur not only on major roadways but also at downtown intersections, side streets, and rural areas. Our Corpus Christi trucking accident attorneys will investigate your case, find the cause of the wreck, and hold the driver and the company responsible for their negligence.
Steps to Take After a Corpus Christi Truck Accident
Follow these steps after a trucking accident to protect your well-being and your potential personal injury case:
- Stop your vehicle and check yourself and passengers for injuries
- Call 911 immediately, and be sure a paramedic is sent if there are people hurt
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible if you are injured
- File a police report and include specific details about the truck wreck
- If possible, collect contact information and insurance information from the other driver
- Take photos of your vehicle, the truck involved in the crash, and the surrounding scene
- Call your insurance company and notify them of the wreck
- Do not speak to other insurance companies or insurance adjusters!
- Contact a Corpus Christi trucking accident attorney
Above all, take care of you and your family’s health and well-being first. Once you are safe, it is important to act fast in retaining an attorney. Our Corpus Christi semi-truck accident lawyers will obtain evidence from the crash, provide you with sound advice, and make sure that you are comfortable throughout the legal process.
For more information on filing a crash report with the Corpus Christi Police Department, visit their website here. If you have been hurt in a Corpus Christi trucking accident and are seeking legal representation, call Thomas J. Henry. Our attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to evaluate your semi-truck accident case and help you with the legal process.
Injuries That May Occur in a Trucking Accident
Trucking accidents can result in a multitude of injuries, many of which can be long-term and debilitating. These may include:
- Traumatic head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Fractures and soft tissue injuries
- Vital organ injuries
Remember, the full extent of your injuries may not be immediately apparent and some symptoms may not manifest for weeks, months, or even years. This is why you should always seek medical attention following a trucking accident in Corpus Christi. At the very least, you will have peace of mind knowing exactly what you are facing.
Damages You Can Pursue After a Corpus Christi Truck Accident Lawsuit
Because no two crashes are alike, the damages you are able to seek after a truck accident can vary depending on the circumstances of your accident and injuries. A Corpus Christi trucking accident attorney can help you determine what damages our seek and how best to demonstrate that those damages occurred. These may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Vehicle repair costs
- Future medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
In the event that your accident was the result of especially reckless behavior, your attorney may seek punitive damages. Punitive damages are exemplary damages that are meant to punish the defendant and deter others from acting in a similar manner.
What Should I Consider When Looking for a Trucking Accident Attorney Near Me?
There are several qualifications you will want to look for when hiring a truck accident lawyer to handle your claim. Because truck accidents are typically more complex and complicated than regular car accidents, you should try to find an established attorney with a history of success. This includes:
- Extensive trial experience. When it comes to complex litigation, there is no substitute for trial experience against large companies and corporations. Typically, a trucking company will have a team of attorneys who have argued numerous cases in front of judges and juries. Their sole focus is to limit their company’s liability and challenge your claim. In order for your claim to be successful, you must hire an attorney who is at home in the courtroom and understands the nuances of courtroom procedures and juror interaction.
- Legal resources and staff. Find a law firm that has invested in its people and staff. This includes attorneys, paralegals, case management systems, trail technology, and more. You will also want to ensure the attorney you choose has the money to match a well-financed defense team dollar-for-dollar. Trucking accidents are expensive and some small firms do not have the cash on hand to fight the long fight. As the trucking company attempts to slow play your claim and the costs of litigation mount up, a less established attorney may cave and accept a settlement that is lower than what you otherwise could have secured.
- Access to leading expert witnesses. The effect an expert witness can have on a case cannot be overstated. A good expert witness can add credibility to your claim while also demonstrating fault and the extent of the injuries you suffered. Thomas J. Henry Law has spent decades building professional relationships with top expert witnesses from across the nation.
Do not risk your claim by settling for an attorney who cannot offer you the representation you deserve. If you have been injured in a truck accident, call Thomas J. Henry Law to speak with an experienced trucking accident lawyer in Corpus Christi.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer in Corpus Christi
If you or a loved one have been involved in a truck accident in Corpus Christi, you need a law firm with experience and resources. Thomas J. Henry has been handling complex commercial vehicle cases for more than 25 years, achieving record-breaking verdicts and settlements for injured clients and helping them get back on their feet after a serious crash.
Contact us today and speak with a Corpus Christi personal injury attorney for a FREE case consultation. You can call us, fill out a contact form on this page, or start a live chat to speak with a lawyer. We’re available 24/7 to assist you and your family.
Our Corpus Christi Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number:361-254-7873 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 521 Starr Street, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401 (walk-in Monday through Friday)