What Should I Do After a Workplace Accident?
Under federal and state law, you are guaranteed certain rights as an employee with which your employer must legally comply. What you do after a work injury can be crucial in determining the outcome of a personal injury case.
If you are injured in a work-related accident, the following steps should be taken in order to properly carry out a lawsuit:
- Report your injuries immediately to your manager or supervisor
- If your workplace has a union, also contact your union representative
- For serious injuries, seek medical care immediately
- Fill out your company’s official injury report form in ink
- Obtain a copy of the injury report for your own records
- Keep a written record of the injury as well as your communications with the plant
- Do not go home until the injury has been reported
Most Common Injuries for Houston Workers
According to data collected from businesses in the Houston area, 41 percent of workplace injuries occur in the services, 18 percent in manufacturing, and 14 percent in the construction industry. Texas Mutual has reported the following as the most common injuries sustained by workers in Houston:
- Strain, sprain, or other injuries from lifting
- Cut, puncture, & scrap injuries
- Falls, slips, or trips
Houston Workplace Death Statistics
Compared to other populous states in the city, Houston currently has the third-highest number of annual work-related fatalities. This marks some improvement since being declared “the most dangerous city for workers”, but there is still plenty of work to do.
The following is a list of the top 5 cities ranked in terms of workplace death per year:
- New York – 222
- Los Angeles – 109
- Houston – 115
- Chicago – 105
- Dallas – 93
Hurt on the Job? Talk to Our Workplace Injury Attorneys in Houston Today
Sustaining an injury at work will complicate your life and cause you and your family financial hardships. At Thomas J. Henry Law, our goal is to provide world-class legal representation and take the burden off our clients’ shoulders. Our team of more than 100 attorneys fights diligently on the behalf of each of our hardworking injured clients. Let our Houston work injury lawyers help you navigate the legal process while you focus on the healing process.
Contact us today and speak with an attorney for a free legal consultation. You can give us a call or fill out a contact form on this page and we will reach out to you. Don’t suffer any longer – call today.
Our Houston Personal Injury Law Offices