School Bus Accidents
HAS YOUR CHILD BEEN INJURED IN A SCHOOL BUS ACCIDENT?
From 1998 to 2008, about one-half (47%) of the school-age pedestrians killed in school transportation-related crashes were between 5- and 7-years-old. Additionally, it is estimated that 17,000 U.S. children visit emergency rooms each year due to bus-related accidents.
School bus drivers must make the child’s safety a priority; yet innocent children are still injured year after year.
COMMON CAUSES OF SCHOOL BUS ACCIDENTS
Eighty percent of the children killed in school bus accidents were either boarding or leaving the bus at the time of the accident. Many times the cause of the accident or injury was due to driver negligence. Other school bus accident causes may include:
- Defective equipment
- Lack of seat belts
- Dangerous roadways
- Distracted driving
- Improper maintenance
- Bad weather conditions
- Inadequate training
- Unqualified drivers
- Negligent passing
- Failure to keep proper look out
- Changing lanes when inappropriate
- Overloaded buses
SERIOUS INJURIES FROM SCHOOL BUS ACCIDENTS
No parent should have to fear their child taking the bus to school, but everyday more children are injured due to a school bus accident. Between 2005 and 2014, an average of 133 people were killed annually in school transportation-related accidents. This number includes passengers on the school transportation vehicle, occupants of other vehicles, and nonoccupants, such as pedestrians and bicyclists. Injuries that may occur due to a school bus accident include:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones or fractures
- Internal damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Mental and emotional impairment
- Long term or short term disability
- Eye injuries or blindness
WHO CAN BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IN A SCHOOL BUS CRASH?
If it is determined that the operator of a school bus driver was negligent in an accident, the driver’s employer may be liable for:
- Failure to properly train drivers
- Failure to maintain vehicle
- Failure to verify proper licensing/certification
- Negligent hiring practices
- Negligent supervision
- Negligent entrustment
At Thomas J. Henry, our school bus accident attorneys are experienced in determining fault and liability in injury lawsuits. We will take immediate action on your case and work to preserve and acquire evidence as quickly as possible. Negligence on the part of the school bus driver, school bus company, or school district could result in serious injuries for children riding on a bus.
6 SCHOOL BUS SAFETY TIPS FOR PARENTS AND CHILDREN
Teaching our children important safety tips when traveling in or around school buses can prevent future accidents and save more young children.
The National Safety Council offers these suggestions:
- Wait for the bus far away from traffic. Stay on the sidewalk, and pay attention to passing cars.
- Use the handrail while entering and exiting the bus.
- Don’t approach the bus until it has completely stopped, and the door is open.
- Allow at least 10 feet clearance if you cross the street in front of the bus. Wait for the driver to tell you that it’s safe to cross.
- Make sure the driver can see where you are after you’ve left the vehicle.
- Stay well away from the bus’s rear wheels.
CONTACT AN EXPERIENCED CHILD INJURY ATTORNEY
At Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been injured in a school bus accident, contact our offices. Our experienced bus accident lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends, and can provide you with a free case review.
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionNet to Client: $20.1 Million | Expenses: $39,576.15 | Attorney Fees: $10,060,980.00
THOMAS J. HENRY – 2013 TOP BIRTH INJURY ADVOCATESAwarded In 2013 to Thomas J. Henry by Parenting Magazine
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57