GM Chevrolet Cobalt Recall
GM Recalls 2005-2010 Chevy Cobalt Vehicles
Thomas J. Henry is investigating reports of wrongful death, injury, and diminution of value in connection with the recall of all 2005-2010 Chevy Cobalt vehicles.
According to the General Motors, a manufacturing flaw can cause ignition switches in the vehicles move out of the “run” position and into the “off” or “accessory” positions, shutting off power to the engine.
GM has also determined that the defect can leave drivers without important safety features, including anti-lock brakes and power steering, and may even result in airbag failure.
ABOUT THE RECALLED CHEVROLET COBALTS
- The automaker released a statement saying that jarring events, heavy key rings, and bumpy roads have all been identified as factors that could cause jostle the ignition switch out of the “run” position.
- The recall was announced as part of a larger recall covering roughly 2.6 million GM vehicles with the same defect.
- The automaker states that 13 deaths and 34 collisions have been attributed the ignition switch recall.
GM UNDER FIRE FOR RECALL DELAYS
- Reports suggest that problems with the ignition switch were first observed in 2001, well before the affected vehicles hit the production lines.
- In 2004, GM received another warning when a GM engineer experienced the issue while test driving a 2005 Cobalt prior to its release.
- Records show that by 2005, engineers were aware that the faulty ignition switches could cause the vehicles to lose power; however, plans to redesign the key were cancelled after being deemed too costly – a GM engineer reported the cost to be $1 per vehicle.
- It was not until February 2014 that GM decided to recall the vehicles, resulting in multiple federal and congressional investigations.
- A recent report by the Center for Auto Safety, an automotive watchdog group, claims that federal crash data suggests 303 deaths are linked to airbag failures in recalled Chevrolet Cobalts and Saturn Ions.
OTHER VEHILES INCLUDED IN THE IGNIITION SWITCH RECALL
- 2007-2010 Pontiac G5
- 2003-2007 Saturn Ion
- 2006-2011 Chevrolet HHR
- 2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice
- 2006-2010 Saturn Sky