On This Page
Thousands of Children Injured in Window Falls Every Year
- According to a study published in the journal Pediatrics, 98,415 children were treated in emergency rooms after falling through a window between 1990 and 2008. This averages to more than 5,000 injuries every year.
- Of those visits, 28 percent required that the child remain hospitalized for an extended period of time.
- The vast majority of these injuries involved toddlers under the age of four.
- Each year, 15 to 20 children die from injuries sustained after falling through a window.
Protecting Children from Window-Related Falls
Experts acknowledge that in the majority of instances in which children fell through windows, the child’s parents or guardians were observing appropriate supervision. However, Harborview’s Injury Prevention Research Center at the University of Washington in Seattle does provide the following safety tips in addition to normal child supervision.
- In the majority of cases, children fell through a window screen. Experts warn that window screens are not meant to sustain the weight of a child and can be forced out of their settings when such weight is applied.
- Parents and guardians should place window guards in their homes or premises if they have young children around, especially toddlers.
- Windows should not be opened more than four inches.
- Moving furniture away from windows can discourage children from climbing to reach open windows.
- Never assume that a closed window is a child proof window. Children quickly develop the dexterity and strength necessary to open a window.
Has Your Child Suffered a Fall Injury? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If your child was severely injured after a fall from an unsafe window, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent victims in all types of premises liability claims, including unsecured and dangerous premises. Oftentimes children are the victim of window falls, not because of poor supervision but due to improperly installed or secured window guards or screens. When a landlord or property owner negligently installs a window or fails to take the proper steps to maintain a safe premises for a child, they may be held liable.
Our experienced window fall lawyers are available 24/7, nights and weekends to evaluate your claim and provide you with a free case review. Call us today.