The family of a man who was fatally injured in a motorcycle accident on Gulf Freeway in February is suing the restaurant where the man was drinking, alleging the establishment over-served him prior to his crash.
Lawsuit Alleges Motorcyclist Was Served Past the Point of Intoxication
According to the Houston Chronicle, Marvin Drake III drank alcoholic beverages at a Bombshells restaurant on the Gulf Freeway near Fuqua Street before getting on his Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle and crashing into the back of a Chevrolet HHR near El Dorado Boulevard.
Police reports say Drake was traveling at speeds as high as 150 mph when the crash occurred. He died at the scene of the collision.
A lawsuit filed by Drake’s family says a server at the Bombshells restaurant continued to serve Drake, despite him being intoxicated. The lawsuit alleges the server, named Jane Doe in the lawsuit, and the restaurant “breached their duty and violated Texas law” by continuing to serve Drake past the point of intoxication.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Houston Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a motorcyle crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our Houston motorcycle accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm serves clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.