18-Wheeler Driver Ejected from Vehicle, Killed in Crash on Interstate 10
Police are investigating a fatal crash in San Antonio in which a truck driver was ejected from his 18-wheeler and killed.
Details of the Fatal San Antonio 18-Wheeler Crash
According to KSAT, the fatal crash occurred in the 8600 block of Interstate 35 East around 8:45 pm.
Preliminary reports say the driver of the 18-wheeler was traveling westbound when he swerved to avoid a disabled SUV that was abandoned on the shoulder of the FM 1516 overpass. Police note that the overpass was iced over due to winter weather, causing the driver of the 18-wheeler to lose control and crash into a concrete wall.
The driver was not wearing his seatbelt at the time of the collision and was ejected through the driver-side door upon impact. He suffered severe head injuries and was transported to Brooke Army Medical Center by EMB where he was later pronounced dead.
The identity of the truck driver has not been released.
Texas 18-Wheeler Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 4,951 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks in the United States in 2018, marking a 1-percent increase from 2017.
- Of those killed in traffic accidents involving large trucks:
- 71 percent were occupants of passenger vehicles
- 18 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 11 percent were pedestrians or bicyclists
- 77 percent of fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred on weekdays
- An additional 151,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2018, marking a 2-percent increase over 2017.
- Texas led the country in trucking accident deaths with 664 fatalities recorded. Texas was followed by California with 352 deaths and Florida with 321 deaths.
Contact an Experienced San Antonio 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been involved in an 18-wheeler accident in San Antonio, do not risk your claim to compensation. Thomas J. Henry Law has experienced injury attorneys in San Antonio ready to assist you 24/7, nights and weekends.
Our ability to win complex litigation combined with our commitment to client satisfaction has led to national recognition, including articles in Forbes and Businessweek. Thomas J. Henry was named one of the Best San Antonio Lawyers by San Antonio Scene for three consecutive years (2018, 2019, and 2020) and was recognized as the Best Attorney of San Antonio by the San Antonio Current in 2019 and 2020. He is a lifetime member of Rue Ratings’ “Best Attorneys of America” and his firm, Thomas J. Henry Law, was named one of the Top Law Firms of 2020 by Newsweek.com.
Contact us today for a FREE case consultation with a licensed 18-wheeler accident attorney in San Antonio. Attorneys are standing by.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249