Most Common Causes of San Antonio 18-Wheeler Accidents
There are nearly 40,000 commercial vehicle accidents reported in Texas every year. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, these types of crashes resulted in 613 deaths in 2019 alone. 18-wheeler accidents have many causes, and a single accident may have multiple causes. No matter the cause, when an accident does occur, the results can be life-threatening. Among the most common causes of 18-wheeler accidents in San Antonio are:
- Driver drowsiness and fatigue
- Commercial truck drivers are responsible for complying with regulations pertaining to their hours of service, ensuring drivers receive enough sleep and rest to safely operate their vehicle.
- Dangerous lane changes
- Improper turns
- Distracted driving
- Unsafe following distance
- Failure to control speed
- Aggressive driving
- Improperly maintained vehicles and equipment
- Poor or improper training
If you were involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, you need an experienced San Antonio semi accident attorney who can identify and prove all instances of negligence that resulted in your injuries.
Where Do San Antonio Semi Accidents Happen Most?
While 18-wheelers are a common sight across San Antonio and accidents involving tractor-trucks can occur anywhere, they are much more common along San Antonio’s highways and interstates, including:
- Interstate 35 – The main conduit for traffic flowing North and South through San Antonio, I-35 (also called the PanAm Expressway) sees high commercial vehicle traffic as goods are moved up through Austin and onward out of state as well as goods moving from the U.S. towards and into Mexico.
- Interstate 10 – Interstate 10 runs through central San Antonio, connecting East and West Texas. Traffic congestion is relatively common around the Alamodome and exits to downtown San Antonio, and a semi driver who is distracted, fatigued, or traveling at a high rate of speed can easily slam into slowing or stopped traffic.
- Interstate 37 – I-37 is the main road for commercial traffic traveling between San Antonio and Corpus Christi, Texas, and has a high rate of traffic collisions.
- Loop 410 – 410 Loop, or Connally Loop, is a beltway around San Antonio. This is a common roadway for commuters and 18-wheelers alike who are seeking to get into, out of, or around the city.
Determining Fault in a San Antonio 18-Wheeler Accident
Determining fault can be a complex matter when it comes to 18-wheeler accidents due to the unique regulations truck drivers and their employers are subject to as well as the fact several parties can potentially be at fault for a single crash, including the driver, the driver’s employer (a company or business), and the even manufacturer of the truck or its parts.
Companies are required by law to take certain steps to ensure their drivers are properly trained and act in a responsible manner when. They are also responsible for making sure their drivers are following laws concerning the number of hours a driver works and how much time a driver spends behind the wheel before taking a break. If a driver is found to be in violation of these laws, their employer may share fault as well and you would seek compensation from the driver and their employer as both are at fault for your accident and injuries.
Injuries You May Suffer in a Semi Accident
Due to their size and the forces associated with accidents involving 18-wheelers, the injuries sustained in a semi crash tend to be more serious more often than a regular passenger vehicle collision. Among the most common injuries reported with 18-wheeler accidents are:
- Traumatic head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Fractures and soft tissue injuries
- Vital organ injuries
Damages You Can Collect in an 18-Wheeler Accident Lawsuit
Motorists injured in 18-wheeler accidents can collect a variety of different damages depending on the circumstances of their accident and the injuries suffered. Among the most common are:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Vehicle repair costs
- Future medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
What to Look for When Hiring an 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney
When you are involved in a crash with an 18-wheeler, you are instantly at a disadvantage. Similar to a passenger vehicle facing a 40-ton semi-truck, the company that owns and operates the 18-wheeler has money and resources that vastly exceed that of the average San Antonio resident. This is why you need to find a San Antonio semi accident lawyer with the knowledge, resources, and experience to successfully handle your claim.
- Hire an attorney with significant trial experience. Find an attorney who is at home in the courtroom, understands juror interaction, and knows how to build a strong case.
- Hire an attorney who has access to top expert witnesses. Expert witnesses can detail the events that led up to your collision and help jurors understand the extent of your injuries. Utilizing the right expert witnesses will put you in a better position to secure maximum compensation.
- Hire an attorney with the resources to take on large companies. Smaller firms simply cannot withstand the onslaught a well-financed transportation company’s legal team can bring. Make sure the law firm you hire has the finances, the resources, and the attorneys and staff necessary to take on a large corporation.
Let Our Success Work for You
When it comes to 18-wheeler accidents, Thomas J. Henry Law fights fire with fire. We employ a team of more than 200 experienced attorneys and have successfully litigated against large companies and corporations for more than 25 years. 18-wheeler companies know the name Thomas J. Henry and understand that when you hire us, you are hiring a firm that is known for securing record-breaking verdicts in the courtroom. This alone can deter the trucking company from going to trial and pressure them into offering a fair settlement earlier in the process.
Contact us today for your FREE case consultation with a licensed 18-wheeler accident attorney in San Antonio. Attorneys are standing by.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249