18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer in San Antonio
18-Wheeler Accident Attorneys Serving Injured Clients in San Antonio and Surrounding Communities
18-wheelers are a common sight in San Antonio with three major interstates (I-35, I-37, and I-10) all meeting in the cities center. While this increased 18-wheeler traffic is the mark of a healthy city economy, it also poses a risk to motorists in and around San Antonio.
If you have been involved in an 18-wheeler accident in San Antonio, you know just how catastrophic the resulting injuries and damages can be. You need a San Antonio injury attorney with the experience and resources to handle your claim. Call Thomas J. Henry Law now for a FREE case review and learn how our firm can work for you.
Contact Us for a Free Case Review
Most Common Causes of San Antonio 18-Wheeler Accidents
18-wheeler accidents can have many causes, and a single accident may have multiple causes. No matter the cause, when an accident does occur, the results can be life-threatening. Among the most common causes of 18-wheeler accident in San Antonio are:
- Driver drowsiness and fatigue
- Commercial truck drivers are responsible for complying with regulations pertaining to their hours of service, ensuring drivers receive enough sleep and rest to safely operate their vehicle.
- Dangerous lane changes
- Improper turns
- Distracted driving
- Unsafe following distance
- Failure to control speed
- Aggressive driving
- Improperly maintained vehicles and equipment
- Poor or improper training
If you been involved in an accident with an 18-wheeler, you need an experienced San Antonio semi accident lawyer who can identify and prove all instances of negligence that resulted in your injuries.
Where Do San Antonio Semi Accidents Happen Most?
While 18-wheelers are a common sight across San Antonio and accidents involving semis can occur anywhere, they are much more common along San Antonio’s highways and interstates, including:
- Interstate 35 – The main conduit for traffic flowing North and South through San Antonio, I-35 sees high 18-wheeler traffic as goods are moved up through Austin and onward out of state as well as goods moving from the U.S. towards and into Mexico. Also known as the PanAm Expressway, the highway has a higher rate of semi-truck accidents than the rest of the city. Individuals involved in semi accidents along I-35 while visiting from Austin may wish to reach out to our 18-wheeler accident lawyers in Austin.
- Interstate 10 – Interstate 10 runs through central San Antonio, connecting East and West Texas. Traffic congestion is relatively common around the Alamodome and exits to downtown San Antonio, a driver who is distracted, fatigued, or traveling at a high rate of speed can easily slam into slowing or stopped traffic. If the driver is behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler, the outcome can be catastrophic and deadly.
- Interstate 37 – I-37 is the main road for traffic traveling between San Antonio and Corpus Christi, Texas. This is also true for 18-wheelers traveling to and from Corpus Christi. Similarly, if you are a Corpus Christi resident who has been struck by an 18-wheeler while visiting San Antonio, do not hesitate to reach out to our Corpus Christi 18-wheeler accident attorneys.
- Loop 410 – The 410 Loop, or Connally Loop, is a beltway around San Antonio. This is a common roadway for commuters and 18-wheelers alike who are seeking to get into, out of, or around the city. With numerous exits and branching highways, traffic can become hectic on Loop 410, especially during rush hour traffic.
Determining Fault in a San Antonio 18-Wheeler Accident
Determining fault can be a complex matter when it comes to 18-wheeler accidents. In fact, several parties can potentially be at fault for a single crash, including the driver, the driver’s employer (a company or business), and the even manufacturer of the truck or its parts.
Federal and state regulations require a company to take certain steps to ensure their drivers are properly trained and act in a responsible manner when operating a commercial vehicle. Companies are also responsible for making sure their drivers are following laws concerning the number of hours a driver works and how much time a driver spends behind wheel before taking a break.
If a driver is found to be in violation of these laws, their employer may share fault as well. This means your claim would seek compensation from the driver and their employer as both are at fault for your accident and injuries. An experienced 18-wheeler accident lawyer in San Antonio can help establish the facts of your claim ad demonstrate liability.
Injuries You May Suffer in a Semi Accident
Due to their size and the forces associated with accidents involving 18-wheelers, the injuries sustained in a semi crash tend to be more serious more often than a regular passenger vehicle collision. Among the most common injuries reported with 18-wheeler accidents are:
- Traumatic head injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord and back injuries
- Fractures and soft tissue injuries
- Vital organ injuries
The injuries suffered in an accident may not be immediately evident, and some symptoms may not fully develop for weeks, months, and even years. For this reason, Thomas J. Henry Law partners with leading expert witnesses who can demonstrate how your injuries may worsen over time, resulting in future medical expenses and difficulties.
Damages You Can Collect in an 18-Wheeler Accident Lawsuit
Motorists injured in 18-wheeler accidents can collect a variety of different damages depending on the circumstances of their accident and the injuries suffered. Among the most common are:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Vehicle repair costs
- Future medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death
If the circumstances that led up to your accident and injuries were especially reckless or egregious, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. These are exemplary damages awarded to plaintiffs in order to punish the at-fault party and deter similar behavior from others in the future.
If you have questions about what damages you are entitled to, reach out to a semi accident attorney in San Antonio to learn more.
Things to Look Out for Following an 18-Wheeler Crash
After an accident, the company that owns and operates the 18-wheeler involved in your accident will likely try to distance itself from the crash and any potential liability. They may try to place the blame entirely on the driver or they may try to suggest you were partly at fault for the crash. Do not fall for either.
Anytime an 18-wheeler accident calls you after a crash, look out for the following:
- Recorded statements – After your crash, the insurance company representing the 18-wheeler company may reach out and request a recorded statement. They may claim that your statement will be used to help them better understand your accident and injuries or that they cannot move forward on your case without it. Do not let them intimidate you! They are actually attempting to gather evidence to use against you. They will ask leading questions, request detailed accounts, and hope they can trip you up in future talks by referring back to your recorded statement, thereby diminishing your claim.
- Low settlement offers – The job of the 18-wheeler company’s insurer is to defend the company, not to provide the victims of an 18-wheeler accident fair compensation. This means they will attempt to pay out as little as possible to close your claim, thereby saving their client money. Never accept a settlement offer without first consulting with an experienced 18-wheeler crash attorney.
- Failure or refusal to order drug or alcohol tests – Following an accident, the 18-wheeler company by advising their driver to not submit to a drug or alcohol test. While such tests are required by federal regulators, the company may decide the cost of a fine is less than allowing potentially damaging evidence to be made available for your claim. Your attorney will take every course of action to make sure these tests happen. If the driver and company still refuse, your attorney will document their refusal and use it to build your case.
- Slowplaying your claim – Slowplaying a claim is the process of dragging out a case in order to wear out a victim of an accident. The hope is that the victim will become so stressed, disillusioned, and just plain tired that they will accept a sum that is far less than what their case is actually worth. The company is banking on the fact that you need money to pay your medical bills, repair costs, and other expenses associated with the accident. The longer they delay, the more calls you are getting from collectors demanding payment.
- Destroying evidence – Some companies may even go so far as destroying or altering evidence in order to diminish your claim. This could be evidence tied directly to your collision or internal documents that show they failed to adhere to federal and state regulations. Either way, a San Antonio 18-wheeler accident attorney can file court-ordered temporary restraining orders to preserve any and all evidence in the state it was in at the time of your crash.
What to Look for When Hiring an 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney
When you are involved in a crash with an 18-wheeler, you are instantly at a disadvantage. Similar to a passenger vehicle facing a 40-ton semi-truck, the company that owns and operates the 18-wheeler has money and resources that vastly exceed that of the average San Antonio resident. If you plan to recover fair compensation, the first thing to consider is that you are not on a level playing field when it comes to filing your claim. This is why you need to find an experienced San Antonio semi accident lawyer with the resources to handle your claim.
When looking for an attorney to represent you in your 18-wheeler accident claim:
- Hire an attorney with significant trial experience. You want an attorney who is at home in the courtroom and knows how to build a strong case. The last thing you want is for your case to go to trial with a lawyer who lacks an intimate understanding of courtroom procedures and the nuances of juror interaction. It is a safe bet that the lawyers representing the company you are suing have spent time in the courtroom; you need an attorney who has spent even more.
- Hire an attorney who has access to top expert witnesses. Expert witnesses possess specialized knowledge which can add credence and value to your 18-wheeler accident lawsuit. They can provide insight into industry rules and regulations, detail the events that led up to your collision and help jurors understand the extent of your injuries. Utilizing the right expert witnesses can be the difference in securing maximum compensation for your damages.
- Hire an attorney with the resources to take on large companies. The fact is smaller firms simply cannot withstand the onslaught a well-financed transportation company’s legal team can bring. Companies will slow-play your case in hopes that you run out of money and agree to settle for a fraction of what your case is worth, or they will have their team of attorneys pick apart your claim piece by piece. When looking for your 18-wheeler accident attorney, make sure they have the finances, the resources, and the attorneys and staff necessary to take on a large corporation.
Let Our Success Work for You
When it comes to 18-wheeler accidents, Thomas J. Henry Law fights fire with fire. We can go punch for punch with the largest corporations in the world and have built a reputation on successfully litigating against the biggest defendants, including Fortune 500 and Fortune 100 companies.
With a team of more than 200 experienced attorneys and the best technology and resources available to the legal industry, we can pursue your claim with the aggression and efficiency only the largest personal injury firm in Texas can offer. Additionally, our law firm has the money to meet them at every turn and can stay strong through trial should it be necessary.
Remember, 18-wheeler companies and their insurers know the name Thomas J. Henry. When you hire us, you are hiring a firm that is known for securing record-breaking verdicts in the courtroom, and this alone can deter the insurance company from going to trial at all. Companies and their insurers may feel the safer option is to settle out of court rather than risk legal fees on a trial that could result in them paying out even more in damages, meaning your case is resolved even quicker.
Do not settle for less, call Thomas J. Henry Law to speak with an 18-wheeler accident attorney in San Antonio today. We will take immediate action on your claim while you focus on what is most important: getting better.
Contact an Experienced 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer in San Antonio
If you or a loved one have been involved in an 18-wheeler accident in San Antonio, do not risk your claim to compensation. Thomas J. Henry Law has experienced injury attorneys in San Antonio ready to assist you 24/7, nights and weekends.
Our ability to win complex litigation combined with our commitment to client satisfaction has led to national recognition, including articles in Forbes and Businessweek. Thomas J. Henry was named one of the Best San Antonio Lawyers by San Antonio Scene for three consecutive years (2018, 2019, and 2020) and was recognized as the Best Attorney of San Antonio by the San Antonio Current in 2019 and 2020. He is a lifetime member of Rue Ratings’ “Best Attorneys of America” and his firm, Thomas J. Henry Law, was named one of the Top Law Firms of 2020 by Newsweek.com.
Contact us today for a FREE case consultation with a licensed 18-wheeler accident attorney in San Antonio. Attorneys are standing by.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249