2 Dead After SUV Runs Red Light in South Side San Antonio
Two people were killed Monday morning after a sport utility vehicle blew through a red light and crashed into a car at an intersection in San Antonio’s South Side.
Details of the Fatal San Antonio Crash
According to KSAT, the fatal accident occurred on South Zarzamora Street shortly before 5 am.
Preliminary reports suggest two young women were in a sedan that was turning from Highway 16 onto South Zarzamora street when an SUV ran a red light, slamming into the side of the sedan. Witnesses told police the SUV was also speeding.
Both the women in the sedan were pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the SUV fled the scene but was caught by officers walking down the highway near a flea market. She had suffered minor injuries.
The driver of the SUV was taken to the hospital for a mandatory blood draw. Information on the identities of the at-fault driver and the victims of the fatal crash has not been released.
An investigation into the crash is ongoing.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
Drunk driving accidents are far too common in Texas with an average of 2 to 3 drunk driving deaths occurring in our state every day. One of the most frustrating aspects of drunk driving is that it is entirely preventable. As such, we believe in holding drunk drivers accountable for their actions.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a drunk driving accident, call Thomas J. Henry Law. Our San Antonio car accident attorneys will take immediate action on your case to ensure you are in the best position possible to recover maximum compensation. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you. Call now for a FREE case review.