23-year-old Motorcyclist Killed after Crash with Truck in Phoenix
According to the Arizona Republic, a man died after crashing his motorcycle into a pickup truck at an intersection in Phoenix, Arizona, on Tuesday evening.
Details of the Fatal Motorcycle Wreck
Devante B. Holmes, 23, drove his motorcycle at around 5:30 p.m. near the intersection of 29th Avenue and Greenway Road. The accident occurred at the intersection when Holmes failed to stop at the light and rear-ended the truck, which ejected Holmes from his motorcycle.
The Arizona Republic reports that Holmes crashed through the truck’s window and sustained massive trauma. Holmes received treatment at a local hospital but died from his injuries.
Holmes wore a helmet at the time of the crash, according to the Arizona republic. Police do not believe impairment to be a factor in the fatal crash. The investigation is ongoing.
Motorcycle Crash Statistics
The following information is provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
- 4,295 motorcyclists died in crashes in 2014.
- Ninety-two percent of motorcyclists killed in 2014 were males.
- Helmets are about 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle deaths and about 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries.
- Only 19 states and the District of Columbia mandate helmet use by all riders.
- Per mile traveled in 2014, the number of deaths on motorcycles was over 27 times the number in cars.