About the Child’s Bravery after the Crash
According to Liberty County police Det. Michael Albritton, a citizen in the area found the child wandering alone near Riceboro in Liberty County on Tuesday around 2:30 p.m. The discovery came after Morehouse and her daughter were reported missing in neighboring Long County, where they lived, says NBC News.
Investigators believe the crash happened Sunday evening. They are unsure where Morehouse and her daughter were going. Investigators assume that the mother and daughter left the vehicle after the crash and walked into the woods searching for help.
Albritton believes they both became lost and slept in the woods overnight. At some point, Morehouse became unresponsive, and the girl continued to wander in the woods alone until she was found, wet and cold, on Tuesday afternoon. The child helped to locate her mother, who was found dead around 6 p.m., more than a mile from where the car had crashed.
Albritton said investigators are waiting for the autopsy results. They do not believe foul play was involved.
Liberty County Sheriff Steve Sikes praised the child for her help with locating her mother and “bringing this thing to a conclusion.”
Car Accident Statistics U.S.
Information below provided by DriverKnowledge.com:
- The average number of car accidents every year in the U.S. is 6 million.
- More than 90 people die in car accidents every day.
- 3 million people in the U.S. are injured every year in car accidents.
- Around 2 million drivers in car accidents experience permanent injuries every year.
- 1 in 7 people do not wear a seatbelt while driving.
- People not wearing a seatbelt are 30 times more likely to be ejected from the vehicle during a crash.
- Crashes have a 6% rate of fatality, 27% rate of non-fatality injury, and 72% rate of property damage
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.