The Austin Police Department announced Thursday that it will begin enforcing a year-long “No Refusal” initiative next month in an effort to curb drunk driving accidents.
Austin “No Refusal” to Run Until September 2022
According to CBS Austin, the initiative will launch October 1 and will run a full year until September 2022. The initiative will be active every week, Thursday through Sunday with additional enforcement periods during holidays and special events.
“No Refusal” initiatives allow law enforcement to obtain search warrants for blood samples from suspected drunk and impaired drivers who refuse to voluntarily submit to a breathalyzer or blood test.
The Austin Transportation Department and Austin PD will refer to crash analysis data to determine priority dates and locations for enforcement.
“No Refusal is not about making as many arrests as we can,” APD Assistant Chief Robin Henderson said. “It’s a deterrent to keep impaired drivers off of Austin’s roadways and keep the public safe. No Refusal ensures that we have solid blood alcohol content evidence in every DWI arrest and, as such, enhances the ability to prosecute drunk drivers.”
Drunk Driving and “No Refusal” in Austin, Texas
According to CBS Austin, intoxication is a driver in more than one-third of all fatal crashes recorded in Austin. Past “No Refusal” initiatives have netted numerous arrests over the years, with more than 1,250 DWI arrests being recorded during program periods last year.
Texas Drunk Driving Statistics
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured by a Drunk Driver? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident with a drunk driver, call Thomas J. Henry now. Time is of the essence when gathering evidence in a drunk driving case, and your claim to compensation may be compromised should you wait to speak with a lawyer.
Our attorneys will take immediate action on your case to ensure your rights as an injured victim are protected and that the drunk driver responsible for your damages is held responsible for their actions.
Our attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you. If you are unable to travel to one of our offices, we can send an attorney directly to you.
Speak with an Austin Car Accident Lawyer
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249