Beaumont ISD Students Injured in School Bus Crash
Multiple students were injured Wednesday after a Beaumont ISD school bus was involved in a crash with an 18-wheeler and a pickup.
Details of the Beaumont School Bus Crash
According to the Beaumont Enterprise, 26 fourth-grade students were transported to the hospital following the crash.
The Beaumont ISD bus was transporting 44 Charlton-Pollard elementary students back to school from Big Thicket when it was involved in a crash on U.S. 69 at West Walton Road.
Police have not released information regarding the cause of the accident, and the incident remains under investigation.
School Transportation Accident Statistics
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 1,344 people killed in school-transportation-related crashes recorded between 2004 and 2013. This averages to 134 fatalities per year.
- Of the 1,344 fatalities, only 8 percent were occupants of school transportation vehicles.
- Most (71%) of the people who lost their lives in these crashes were occupants of other vehicles involved in the crashes.
- Nonoccupants, including pedestrians, bicyclists, etc., accounted for 21 percent of the fatalities.
- Among the 106 occupants killed in school transportation vehicles between 2004 and 2013, 45 were drivers and 61 were passengers.
Do you really want to end conversation?