Details of the Fatal Accident
According to NEWS4SA, a teenage girl has died in a southeast Bexar County wreck. The female died instantly from the head-on collision Friday morning, November 6.
The Department of Safety Troopers has identified the victim as 17-year-old Rachel Russell. The 8:30 a.m. crash occurred on Highway 87 at the East Loop 1604 South.
Russell had been driving on Highway 87 before being struck head-on by another vehicle. Russell was declared dead at the scene by authorities. The of the other vehicle was transported to a hospital.
Authorities believe fog may have contributed to the collision.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The information below was taken from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 254,415 persons were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2017.
- In 2017, there were 1,046 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is 28% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- There were 553 people killed in head-on crashes in 2017.
- During 2017, more DUI – Alcohol crashes were reported in the hour between 2:00 am and 2:59 am than any other hour of the day. Also, more of these crashes occurred on Sunday than any other day of the week.
- In 2017, there were 451 people killed in crashes involving distracted driving. This is a 2% decrease from 2016.
- In 2017 there were 763 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2017.
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Car Accident Attorney
Were you injured in a traffic accident in San Antonio or a surrounding area? Speak with an auto accident attorney in San Antonio today. Our are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in San Antonio, Texas.