Two teenagers are dead following a head-on collision near Throckmorton, Texas.
Details of the Fatal Crash
According to KTXS, the crash occurred Friday when a Ford Escape crashed into a tractor-trailer on Highway 183 about one mile south of Trcokmorton.
Brianna Paige Navarro, 18, and her brother, Charles Jesus Navarro, 13, were both killed in the collision. Neither was wearing seatbelts at the time of the collision.
A third occupant of the SUV, 2-year-old Casey Grace Jones, was transported to Throckmorton Memorial Hospital where she was treated and released.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,531 people were killed in traffic crashes in Texas in 2015, marking little improvement from the 3,536 deaths reported in 2014.
- 1,925 deaths occurred in rural areas of the state and 581 people were killed in head-on collisions in 2015.
- An additional 246,335 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2015 with 17,011 people suffering serious injuries.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2015:
- One person is killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 29 minutes.
- One person is injured every 2 minutes and 8 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurs every 61 seconds.