Central Texas Man Dies Due to Head on Collision with 18-Wheeler
Authorities in Hill County, Texas are investigating a fatal head-on collision between a pickup truck and an 18-wheeler east of Aquilla.
Details of the Aquilla Trucking Accident
The crash occurred between 52-year-old Mickey Lynn Burney of Whitney, who was driving the pickup truck, and 29-year-old Dexter Thomas Deel of Euless, who was driving the tractor-trailer.
The accident occurred January 16 at 8:15 a.m on FM 1304 when Burney’s 2002 Ford Ranger pickup truck drifted into oncoming traffic while navigating a curve. The Ranger crashed head-on into Deel’s 2016 Volvo tractor-trailer, according to Sargent D.L. Wilson from the Department of Public Safety.
According to KWTX, Burney and Deel were taken to Baylor Scott and White Hillcrest Medical Center. Burney died at the hospital. Deel suffered from non-life threatening injuries.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 438,000 large trucks were involved in collisions in 2014 resulting in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians and bicyclists
- Texas lead the nation in trucking accident fatalities, tallying 553 deaths.