Central Texas Man Dies Due to Head on Collision with 18-Wheeler
Details of the Aquilla Trucking Accident
The crash occurred between 52-year-old Mickey Lynn Burney of Whitney, who was driving the pickup truck, and 29-year-old Dexter Thomas Deel of Euless, who was driving the tractor-trailer.
The accident occurred January 16 at 8:15 a.m on FM 1304 when Burney’s 2002 Ford Ranger pickup truck drifted into oncoming traffic while navigating a curve. The Ranger crashed head-on into Deel’s 2016 Volvo tractor-trailer, according to Sargent D.L. Wilson from the Department of Public Safety.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 438,000 large trucks were involved in collisions in 2014 resulting in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were nonoccupants, including pedestrians and bicyclists
- Texas lead the nation in trucking accident fatalities, tallying 553 deaths.