A 5-year-old was killed Tuesday afternoon after the vehicle he was in was struck head-on by a wrong-way driver.
Police Suspect Child’s Seatbelt May Have Failed
According to KRIS-TV, the fatal crash occurred on Old Brownsville Road when an SUV crossed multiple lanes of traffic and struck a car head-on. The driver of the car contained a 38-year-old mother and her 5-year-old son.
The boy was buckled in and riding an a booster seat, but Corpus Christi Police Department Captain Timothy Frazier commented that it appeared the seat belt may have failed. “From what we understand the child was still buckled and the booster seat had flown out from underneath him,” said Captain Frazier.
Police are still unsure what caused the wrong-way driver to cross into oncoming traffic. They will, however, obtain a warrant for the vehicle’s black box to try to determine if the vehicle was speeding at the time of the collision. They hope the black box along with witness statements and evidence from the scene will provide a more complete picture.
Captain Frazier added that they are looking at charges against the wrong-way driver.
What to Do If a Car Is Traveling the Wrong Direction
Seeing an oncoming vehicle barreling down your lane of traffic can be horrifying; however, it is important to remain as calm as possible and attempt to take appropriate evasive action.
- Removed your foot from the accelerator and begin applying the brakes. Do this quickly, but in a controlled manner. Do not slam on the brakes.
- Flash your headlights and blare your horn catch the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. You may be tempted to move left into oncoming lanes, but if the oncoming driver corrects course, you will collide head on.
- Try to steer into a clear area. Look for a clear shoulder or level terrain.
- If necessary, driver off the road. It is better to crash into a ditch than collide with another vehicle head-on.
- Call the police and report the driver. Even if you are able to make it through unscathed, your call to the police could save lives further down the road.
Injured in a Collision? Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Corpus Christi
Were you injured in a motor vehicle collision in the state of Texas? Our auto accident lawyers in Corpus Christi are available 24/7 to help you and provide you with a free consultation. We will start work on your case right away, offering sound legal advice, speaking to the insurance companies on your behalf, gathering evidence for your case, and even helping with property damage and medical bills on qualified personal injury cases. We handle the insurance company and all negotiations, depositions, mediations, litigation, settlements, court appearances, and everything in between to ensure you get a fair settlement or outcome for your family. These are just a few of the reasons Expertise.com has recognized Thomas J. Henry as one of the Best Car Accident Lawyers in Corpus Christi. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Our Corpus Christi Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 361-254-7873 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 521 Starr Street, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401 (walk-in Monday through Friday)