Dallas Man Arrested for Fatal Crash that killed Grandmother, Mother, and Daughter
Authorities have arrested a Dallas man for a fatal wrong-way crash that killed two adults and a child in Seagoville earlier this month. All three victims were related.
Driver in Fatal Crash Faces Three Counts of Manslaughter
According to WFAA, the fatal head-on collision occurred around 1:00 a.m. on August 7 on U.S. 175 in Seagoville, Texas.
Police in Crandall received a call of a wrong-way driver on U.S. 175. The caller described the vehicle as a blue Chevrolet pickup truck and noted it was heading west in the eastbound lanes.
Soon after the call, the pickup, driver by 25-year-old Jose Abel Arriaga Contreras, crashed head-on into a Toyota sedan. A Dodge pickup truck then crashed into the Toyota before fleeing the scene.
Three people in the Toyota were killed in the crash. They have been identified as Ana Teresa Guzman De Pena, 49; Jessica Nayeli Pena Guzman, 23; and Pena Guzman’s two-year-old daughter.
Contreras suffered significant injuries and remained in the hospital until Thursday. Upon his release, he was booked into Dallas County jail on three counts of manslaughter. His bond is set at $1 million for each charge.
The driver who fled the scene turned himself into police on Aug. 12. He is identified as James Dylan Gaddis, 30, and is charged with accident involving death.
Police suspect alcohol was a factor in the crash.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Speak to an Experienced Dallas Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were involved in a car accident in Dallas or a surrounding community, call Thomas J. Henry Law for assistance.
For more than 25 years, our law firm has helped clients injured in car crashes recover fair compensation for their accidents and injuries. Our experienced attorneys will work to build your case for maximum compensation so that you are able to get your life back on track.
Call now to speak with an experienced Dallas car accident lawyer. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.