Driver Charged Following Deadly Conway Trucking Accident
Details of the Fatal Conway Trucking Accident
WBTW reports that Chris Anthony Blair, 28, died Tuesday after the pickup he was a passenger in crashed into an 18-wheeler just outside of Conway.
Preliminary reports indicate a Sterling Tractor Trailer was backing across the Dongola Highway into a private driveway when it was struck by a Nissan pickup. Blair sustained fatal blunt force trauma as a result of the impact, and the driver of the pickup was transported to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Police have charged the driver of the tractor-trailer for failure to yield right of way.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NTHSA):
- 438,000 trucking accidents were recorded in the U.S. in 2014, resulting in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities with 553 trucking-related deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 recorded deaths.