Driver Charged with Intoxication Manslaughter Following NW San Antonio Crash
San Antonio police have arrested a man on intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault charges following a crash that left a woman dead and several others injured on San Antonio’s Northwest Side.
About the Fatal San Antonio Drunk Driving Crash
KSAT reports that 26-year-old Edwin Sanabna Pena was driving a red Dodge pickup eastbound on Culebra Road when he ran a red light at Zarzamora Street and slammed into the passenger side of a Chevrolet truck. The force of the collision sent the Chevrolet through the intersection and into a Jeep Patriot that was stopped in the northbound lanes of Zarazamora Street.
A 53-year-old woman who was a passenger in the Chevrolet died at the scene. Three other occupants of the Chevrolet were rushed to University Hospital with serious injuries.
One person in the Jeep was taken to Brooke Army Medical Center with serious injuries, and Pena was transported to University Hospital with minor injuries.
Pena was determined to be intoxicated after the crash and was charged with intoxication manslaughter and three counts of intoxication assault. His bound is set at $375,000.
Texas Drunk Driving Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,623 people were killed in auto accidents in Texas in 2019, resulting in a fatality rate of 1.26 deaths per hundred million vehicle miles traveled.
- 735 traffics deaths were recorded at intersections, and 914 people were killed in crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 256,797 people were injured in car accidents with 15,855 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2019:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident in Texas every 2 hours 25 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes 3 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 56 seconds.
Injured in a San Antonio Car Accident? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
Car accidents can result in unexpected injuries and expenses. When you are involved in a crash that is not your fault, you deserve compensation for your damage. Thomas J. Henry Law has successfully represented injured clients for nearly 30 years. Over this time, Thomas J. Henry Law has become the largest personal injury plaintiff’s firm in Texas.
If you have been injured in a car crash in San Antonio, call Thomas J. Henry Law now. We have experienced car accident attorneys standing by to assist you 24/7, nights and weekends. Also, because we work on a contingency fee basis, you pay us nothing unless and until we win your case. Call now for your free case consultation.