Driver Charged with Manslaughter After Three-Vehicle Crash in San Antonio
About the Fatal San Antonio Crash
According to KSAT, the crash took place at Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Walters. Authorities said Leonel Martinez, 38, had been driving a Hummer when he crashed into two smaller vehicles. After officers arrived, Martinez and his passenger attempted to flee the scene, yet police later located and apprehended them.
Destiny Rodriguez, 27, was in one of the smaller vehicles and was pronounced dead at the scene, said police. The driver in the other small vehicle was injured and hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.
Martinez has been charged with a DWI, intoxicated manslaughter, intoxicated assault, and failure to stop and render, according to police.
Texas Motor Vehicle Crash Facts 2017
The information below was taken from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 254,415 persons were injured in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2017.
- In 2017, there were 1,046 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is 28% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
- There were 553 people killed in head-on crashes in 2017.
- During 2017, more DUI – Alcohol crashes were reported in the hour between 2:00 am and 2:59 am than any other hour of the day. Also, more of these crashes occurred on Sunday than any other day of the week.
- In 2017, there were 451 people killed in crashes involving distracted driving. This is a 2% decrease from 2016.
- In 2017 there were 763 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2017.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.