Driver Traveling 157 MPH in Fort Worth Crash that Killed Teenager
A man is charged with manslaughter after causing a fatal, deadly car crash in Fort Worth that left a 19-year-old in a separate vehicle dead.
One Dead, Two Injured in High-Speed Crash
According to NBC-DFW, the fatal 157 MPH crash occurred on March 15 at around 11 pm.
Police say 22-year-old Bryce Abernathy, of Arlington, was driving at a speed of 157 mph on Interstate 20 when he rear-ended an SUV. The Texas Fort Worth crash resulted in the death of Shaundi Smallwood, 19, and the injuries of two others.
Police were able to determine Abernathy’s speed through his Camaro’s control module. The speed limit in the area was 70 mph.
Abernathy is charged with two counts of aggravated assault and one count of manslaughter.
2020 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute and 7 seconds.
Speak with an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident in Dallas or a surrounding community, call Thomas J. Henry Law immediately. For more than 25 years, our law firm has represented injured clients seeking fair compensation for their injuries and damages. We can help you ensure you are able to pay for the bills and expenses that result from your accident.
Our law firm always works on a contingency fee basis, so you pay us nothing unless and until we win your case. Do not wait, our attorneys are standing by 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now for a FREE Case Review.