‘Faulty Brakes’ Blamed for San Antonio Trucking Crash
Officials report faulty brakes are likely the main cause of a fiery trucking accident that left lanes of Intestate 10 closed last week.
Details of the San Antonio Truck Accident
According to News 4 San Antonio, the crash occurred just after 1:50 pm Saturday on Interstate 10 near Roosevelt Avenue.
The driver of the 18-wheeler reported an odd smell before hearing a pop and crashing. She opened the cab and saw that the truck had caught fire. She attempted to extinguish the flames, but they soon became uncontrollable.
Firefighters arrived to the scene and were able to keep the fire from spreading to the alcohol the truck was carrying.
Officials say the driver had some rear brake work done where the failure occurred.
Texas Truck Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 4,951 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks in the United States in 2018, marking a 1-percent increase from 2017.
- Of those killed in traffic accidents involving large trucks:
- 71 percent were occupants of passenger vehicles
- 18 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 11 percent were pedestrians or bicyclists
- 77 percent of fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred on weekdays
- An additional 151,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2018, marking a 2-percent increase over 2017.
- Texas led the country in trucking accident deaths with 664 fatalities recorded. Texas was followed by California with 352 deaths and Florida with 321 deaths.
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been involved in a truck accident in San Antonio, do not risk your claim to compensation. Thomas J. Henry Law has experienced injury attorneys in San Antonio ready to assist you 24/7, nights and weekends.
Our ability to win complex litigation combined with our commitment to client satisfaction has led to national recognition, including articles in Forbes and Businessweek. Thomas J. Henry was named one of the Best San Antonio Lawyers by San Antonio Scene for three consecutive years (2018, 2019, and 2020) and was recognized as the Best Attorney of San Antonio by the San Antonio Current in 2019 and 2020. He is a lifetime member of Rue Ratings’ “Best Attorneys of America” and his firm, Thomas J. Henry Law, was named one of the Top Law Firms of 2020 by Newsweek.com.