Four Vehicle Crash Leaves Six Dead in Kentucky
Details of the Fatal Kentucky Crash
Police confirmed Friday that all six people killed were occupants of the two passenger vehicles, one of which became pinned beneath one of the 18-wheeler.
The names of those killed in the crash have not been released, and two of the decedents have yet to be identified. Authorities are working to notify the victims’ family member and make positive identifications.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
Trucking Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 438,000 trucking accidents in the U.S. in 2014.
- These accidents result in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities with 553 trucking-related deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 recorded deaths.