A man was killed in Dallas early Monday morning when he was struck by a car as he stopped to check on people involved in a separate crash.
Details of the Fatal Dallas Accident
According to NBC-DFW, the fatal accident occurred on Interstate 35E shortly before 3 AM.
Police say a white Mazda struck the guardrail on the right should before swerving back into traffic where it hit a white Kia. A 23-year-old man in a gold Chevrolet Suburban stopped and exited his vehicle to check on the occupants of the two vehicles when he was struck by a black Honda.
The victim was rushed to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The driver of the Mazda that hit the guardrail, 21-year-old Victoria Garner-Council, was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated. The driver of the black Honda remained at the scene and is not expected to be charged.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collisions.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Car Accident? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in Dallas, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance. Our experienced attorneys can help you navigate the claims and compensation process, ensuring you are in the best position to make a full financial recovery for the damages you have suffered.
We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now to speak with a licensed Dallas car accident attorney.