A woman from Houston died last Friday during a hit-and-run crash in the Phoenix, Arizona suburb Chandler.
Details of the Fatal Arizona Hit-and-Run
ABC 15 reports the fatal crash occurred around 11:30 pm Friday on Loop 202 near Kyrene Road. 47-year-old Shanna Outie of Houston was pronounced dead at the scene. She was the only occupant of her vehicle.
A preliminary investigation found that an Infiniti driven by Jhosua Resendiz-Alvarez, 28, was speeding when it rear-ended Outie’s Ford SUV. The impact of the collision caused Outie’s Ford to overturn while Resendiz-Alvarez crashed into a barrier wall.
Resendiz-Alvarez fled the scene on foot, leaving the vehicle he was driving behind.
Authorities traced the vehicle back to its owner, Resendiz-Alvarez’s girlfriend, who said Resendiz-Alvarez had the vehicle. She also said that Resendiz-Alvarez attempted to call her several times around 11:30 pm but she did not answer.
Resendiz-Alvarez was apprehended at a Circle K Saturday around 9:00 am. During an interview, Resendiz-Alvarez admitted to drinking before the collision adding that he had “blacked out.”
Resendiz-Alvarez was charged for leaving the scene of a fatal accident and two counts of aggravated DUI.
National Drunk Driving Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- In 2019, 10,142 people were killed in drunk driving accidents.
- On average, a drunk driving traffic death occurred every 52 minutes in the U.S. in 2019.
- The age group of 21- to 24-year-olds had the highest percentage of fatal drunk driving crashes, accounting for 24% of all alcohol-impaired drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2019.
- Men were more likely to be involved in drunk driving crashes with 4 male alcohol-impaired drivers involved in crashes for every one female alcohol-impaired driver.
- The rate of alcohol impairment among drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2019 was 3.3 times higher at night than during the day.
Contact an Experienced Texas Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced Houston car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm serves clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.