2017 Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following statistics are provided by a report by TxDOT:
- In 2017 there were 761 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection
- In 2017, there were 1,024 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol (28% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes)
- In 2017, there were 449 people killed in crashes involving distracted driving
- Based on reportable crashes in 2017:
- 1 person was killed every 2 hours 21 minutes
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes 4 seconds
- 1 reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds
Most Dangerous Roads in Houston
According to a recent study conducted by ValuePenguin using NHTSA data, 3 Houston highways ranked among the most dangerous highways in the United States. The roads are:
- 585 fatal crashes
- 390 fatal crashes
- 212 fatal crashes
What to do After a Car Accident
Car crashes can often be disorienting, but it is crucial that you remember a few important steps that will protect your health and your potential injury claim:
- Immediately after a crash, especially if you or a passenger is injured, call 911.
- If a law enforcement officer arrives at the scene of the accident, be sure to give a detailed account of the crash to the best of your ability.
- It is incredibly important that you file an accident report after your accident.
- Call to file a crash report if a law enforcement officer was not present at the crash.
- Seek medical attention as quickly as possible, even if you do not immediately feel pain following the accident.
- It is common to not immediately feel the pain of your injuries due to the shock of the crash. Your pain may be delayed or your injuries may have hidden symptoms, so a check-up at a medical care provider is essential.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident scene. This includes damages to your vehicle, the other party’s vehicle, your injuries, and any other environmental factors that may have played a role in the accident.
What Are the Leading Causes of Car Accidents in Houston?
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield while turning left
- Unsafe lane changing
- Following too closely
- Improper evasive action
- Failure to yield at stop sign
- Disregard of stop sign or stop light
- Driving under the influence of alcohol
Contact a Car Accident Attorney in Houston
Were you injured in a motor vehicle collision in Texas? Our auto accident lawyers in Houston are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Contact Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys today for more information about the services we provide to clients in Houston, Texas.
Our Houston Personal Injury Law Offices