Illinois Driver Charged in Fatal Hit-and-Run with a Motorcycle
A recent report from the Central Illinois Proud says police have identified the driver involved in a deadly hit-and-run accident with a motorcyclist as Marlon Coleman. The accident happened early Sunday morning.
Details of the Hit-and-Run
According to authorities, the accident happened at approximately 1:00 a.m. on Sunday morning in the 1800 block of North Knoxville in Peoria, IL.
- Police found Daniel Cantrell, 58 and an unidentified female victim. Cantrall was pronounced dead at the scene. The female victim was transported to a nearby hospital in fair condition.
- Cantrall is believed to have been driving a motorcycle when a car crossed the center lane and struck the motorcycle head-on.
- The driver of the vehicle fled the scene, but was followed by a witness which led to his arrest.
Police say Coleman has been charged with over nine counts including aggravated DUI, accident resulting in death or injury, and failure to render aid.
Illinois Motor Vehicle Crash Statistics
The Illinois Department of Transportation provides the following motor vehicle accident statistics.
- In 2012, there were 274,111 motor vehicle crashes in the state of Illinois.
- Of those numbers, 60,252 accidents resulted in injury and 886 were fatal.
- Motorcycle crashes accounted for 1.5% of all crashes; motorcycle accidents accounted for 16.7% of all fatal crashes.
- 37.2% of fatal crashes involved alcohol.
Do you really want to end conversation?