About the Austin Drunk Driving Crash
According to KXAN, a multiple vehicle crash on the 6800 block of southbound Interstate 35 resulted in the death of one person. The initial six vehicle wreck occurred on Sunday, October 11 around midnight near William Cannon Drive. A semi-truck is believed to have been one of the six vehicles involved.
Austin, Texas authorities have reported that a 39-year-old Amber Thomas has been charged and arrested for intoxication manslaughter in response to the wreck. She has been transported to Travis County Jail without a current bond set. The victim killed has not yet been identified. Also, the incident shut down the freeway for several hours.
Official Austin Texas Police Association PIO Tweet
- 10/12/20 02:12; 800 E William Cannon Intox driver ran red light. Struck by vehicle. Vict trans to area hospital w/ serious bodily injuries. Subj arrest Intox Assault. #202860138 District 2
Official ATCEMS Tweets
- Multiple #ATCEMS, @AustinFireInfo & @Austin_Police assets responding to a reported Major Motor Vehicle collision at 6800 S IH 35 SB (23:15); Initial unconfirmed reports of 6 vehicles involved including a Semi & Motorcycle. More to Follow….
- #ATXTrafficFatality FINAL: Auto v Motorcycle collision at 6800 S IH 35 SB; #ATCEMSMedics have obtained a Deceased On Scene Pronouncement of 1 adult motorcycle rider. No other patients identified. Expect road closures, slow down & remain alert for investigators working in the area
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced Texas car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
In the event that a loved one has been killed in an accident, Thomas J. Henry Law will make sure you claim is handled by one of our Texas wrongful death attorneys. Our wrongful death lawyers have the expertise necessary to prove your claim to compensation and help you family prepare for the expenses and damages caused by the sudden loss of a loved one.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.