Ivan Robles Navejas, 28, has pleaded guilty to four counts of intoxications manslaughter and three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for a drunk driving crash that killed four members of the Thin Blue Line Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club in July 2020.
Details of the Fatal Accident and Conviction
According to KSAT, Navejas was arrested July 18, 2020 after he crossed the center stripe of Highway 16 between Medina and Kerrville and crashed head-on into several motorcyclists.
Joseph Paglia, president of the TBLLEMC Chicago chapter and retired officer with the Niles City Police Department; Jerry Wayne Harbour, Thin Blue Line ambassador, Lt. Col. Army (retired) and pilot for Eastern Airlines (retired); and Michael White, secretary of the TBLLEMC Chicago chapter, were all killed in the crash.
Several others were injured in the crash, including Joseph Lazo, a police sergeant from Niles, Illinois, who had his leg crushed.
At the time of the crash, Nevejas was out on bond for an aggravated assault charge in Bexar Count from 2018. Sentencing is set for January 2022.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Car Crash? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
For more than 25 years, Thomas J. Henry Law has represented victims of serious car accidents across Texas and the United States. Our firm has built a reputation on securing record-breaking results and has litigated against some of the largest defendants in the world.
If you have been injured in a car accident, you deserve an attorney who will put your recovery first. Call Thomas J. Henry Law to speak with an experienced car accident attorney today. We are available 24/7 nights and weekends to assist you and offer FREE case consultations to injured victims without any obligation.