Man Faces Intoxication Assault Charge in Corpus Christi Crash
A man has been charged with intoxication assault for a head-on crash on SPID in Corpus Christi early Sunday morning.
Details of the Corpus Christi Drunk Driving Crash
According to the Caller-Times, the crash occurred on South Padre Island Drive at Highway 44 around 3:15 am.
Police were called to the intersection of Highway 44 at International to respond to reports of a wrong-way driver. Reports indicated the vehicle was traveling eastbound in the westbound lane.
Soon after, the call was upgraded to a major accident at Highway 44 and SPID. Two vehicles had collided head-on.
The driver believed to be at fault was identified as a 29-year-old man. His name was not released. He was transported to a hospital for treatment and will face a charge of intoxication assault once released.
The driver of the other vehicle was also injured and hospitalized. His condition was not immediately available.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Injured in a Drunk Driving Crash? Call a Corpus Christi Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in car crash with a drunk driver, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate representation.
Drunk driving accidents are entirely preventable. When a person decides to get behind the wheel while intoxicated, they are making a conscious decision to put other people at risk. This active disregard for the safety of others is among the most upsetting aspects of drunk driving crashes.
Thomas J. Henry Law believes victims of drunk drivers deserve compensation for their injuries. We also believe drunk drivers should be accountable for their reckless behavior and actions.
Call now for your FREE Case Review. Our Corpus Christi car accident attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you.