A truck driver is dead following an overnight crash on Interstate 35 in Austin.
Details of the Deadly Austin 18-Wheeler Accident
According to FOX 7 Austin, the fatal accident occurred around 1 a.m. Thursday on the upper deck of Interstate 35 south.
Investigators say the tractor-trailer lost control and crashed into the side of the upper deck which ultimately caused the cab of the truck to split from the trailer. A portion of the truck then fell onto the lower deck.
The driver of the truck was killed in the crash; however, the identity of the driver has not been released.
Traffic was closed for several hours following the crash as crews cleared the roadway. Hazmat crews also responded.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 438,000 trucking accidents in the U.S. in 2014.
- These accidents result in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities with 553 trucking-related deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 recorded deaths.
Have You Been Hit by a Large Truck? Call an Austin 18-Wheeler Accident Attorney Now
If you have been involved in a crash with a semi-truck, call Thomas J. Henry. In trucking accident cases, time is of the essence to collect evidence, determine who is at fault for your injuries, and start the legal process. Our Austin 18-wheeler accident lawyers will take immediate action on your case.
Call now to speak with an experienced truck accident attorney in Austin or fill out the contact form on this page and a lawyer will reach out to you. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you and your family and offer FREE case consolations. Start your road to recovery today.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 5707 Southwest Pkwy, Suite 125 Building 2, Austin, Texas 78735 (walk-in Monday through Friday)