Man, Woman Charged in San Antonio Crash that Killed Man, Paralyzed Toddler
A man and a woman have been indicted on felony charges following a fatal crash on San Antonio’s Southeast Side. The crash also left a toddler paralyzed.
Details of the Southeast San Antonio Crash
According to KSAT, Daniel Tellez, 24, and Selena Hernandez, 20, were indicted by a Bexar County grand jury Friday on a charge of assault causing serious bodily injury by omission to a child. In addition, Telles was also indicted on one count of manslaughter.
The charges stem from a March 31 crash in which Telles was driving at nearly 90 miles per hour on Rigsby Avenue near Covington Road when he crashed into a car driving by Antonio Arismendez Martinez, 80. Martinez was pronounced dead at the scene.
Hernandez’s two-year-old daughter was also injured in the crash, suffering several spinal fractures which have left her paralyzed on one side of her body.
The speed limit in the area in which the crash occurred is 40 miles per hour.
Speeding Facts and Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Safety Council (NSC):
- Speeding is a major factor in traffic injuries and death, playing a role in 26 percent of all traffic fatalities recorded in 2019.
- In 2019, speeding was a contributing factor in 9,478 traffic deaths. This averages to 25 deaths every day.
- Weather greatly increases the risks associated with speeding. Speeding was a factor in fatal crashes for:
- 16 percent of crashes that occurred on dry roads
- 19 percent that occurred on wet roads
- 39 percent that occurred on roads with snow or slush
- 40 percent that occurred on roads with moving or standing water
- 41 percent that occurred on roads with mud, dirt, or gravel
- 43 percent that occurred on roads with ice or frost
- Crashes involving speeding are most common among individuals between the ages of 25 and 34.
Injured in a Crash? Contact an Experienced San Antonio Auto Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a traffic accident in San Antonio or a surrounding area? We have auto accident attorneys in San Antonio who are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Our law firm is among the most respected personal injury firms in San Antonio and is the largest personal injury plaintiff’s firm in Texas. Expertise has named Thomas J. Henry is one of the Best Car Accident Lawyers in San Antonio.
Remember, you do not have to face your accident and injuries alone. We are here to help you during your time of need. Let our attorneys deal with the insurers and your claim so you can focus on what’s really important: getting better.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249