Multi-Car Accident Leads to Closures Along S.P.I.D.
A major, two-vehicle crash resulted in lane closures on South Padre Island Drive Tuesday afternoon.
About the S.P.I.D. Crash
According to KRIS-TV, the crash occurred around 3 pm Tuesday on the S.P.I.D. freeway over Greenwood drive.
Preliminary reports did not reference a cause of the accident, nor did they detail what injuries may have occurred. Police did advise driver avoid the area and find an alternate route if able.
The crash left all eastbound lanes of the freeway closed as crews attempted to clear the scene of wreckage and debris. The lanes were soon reopened.
2019 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,610 people were killed in traffic accidents in 2019, marking a slight decrease from the 3,652 deaths reported in 2018.
- The majority of traffic fatalities occurred in rural areas, accounting for 51.69% (1,866) of all traffic related deaths in Texas.
- 731 people were killed in crashes in accident that occurred at or related to intersection.
- Another 256,338 people were injured in traffic accidents in Texas with 15,843 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on crash data for 2019:
- One person was killed in a crash every 2 hours and 26 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 3 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 56 seconds.
Injured in a Car Crash? Contact a Corpus Christi Car Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry Law has representing injured clients in Corpus Christi for more than 25 years. Our auto accident attorneys work diligently to build every case in a manner that best serves our clients and their financial recovery.
If you have been injured in a crash, call our Corpus Christi car accident lawyers for a FREE consultation. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Let us worry about the insurance companies and the adverse driver, you just focus on getting better.
Speak to a Corpus Christi car accident lawyer:
- Phone number: 361-254-7873 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 521 Starr Street, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401 (walk-in Monday through Friday)