About the DWI Convicted Felon
57-year-old Jeffrey Davis was identified by Harris County deputies on Sunday night, February 2, as causing a fatal crash at the intersection Bammel North Houston Road and Champion Forest Drive. Witnesses and authorities report the DWI crash taking place around 7:45 p.m. as Davis sported a Ford F-150.
The cause of the crash was due to Davis’s failure to yield the right of way at the Champion’s Point intersection. The negligence behind Davis’s driving decisions led to him crashing headfirst into an oncoming driver, Eduardo Tovias.
Tovias, 20, was killed in the collision
Davis was transported to a local hospital for treatment and was discovered to be under the influence of alcohol The district attorney’s office noted that they were quite disgusted with the whole incident and is actively investigating any places that may have sold Davis the alcohol.
Davis is currently facing either a minimum of 5 years or maximum of life in prison.
In Remembrance of Eduardo Tovias
Tovias was a young welder headed home to his family the night of the fatal crash.
An aunt of Tovias laments, “He was a big person, but so sweet. He was so good to his family and his friends.”
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.