Multiple-Vehicle Crash involving Tractor-Trailer Sends Six to Hospital
About the Semi-truck Crash
The semi crash happened on South Loop 410 near Interstate 37 at around 6:20 p.m. A tractor-trailer heading northbound on the Loop lost control of his rig and crossed over the median. Several vehicles traveling southbound were struck by the jackknifed big rig as it slid toward the west side of the highway.
The San Antonio Express-News reports that six people involved in the semi-truck wreck were sent to the hospital. One victim critically injured in the crash required an airlift from the scene. The San Antonio Fire Department reports that all six of the injured are expected to survive.
Southbound lanes of Loop 410 were closed as crews cleaned up the wreckage and gasoline spillage on the roadway, reports the San Antonio Express-News. The truck driver says he lost control after swerving to avoid a motorist that cut in front of him.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The following information regarding truck crashes is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 3,903 people died in crashes involving large trucks in 2014.
- An estimated 111,000 people suffered injuries in crashes involving large trucks in 2014.
- 74 percent of the people injured in these accidents were occupants of other vehicles.
- An estimated 438,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported traffic crashes during 2014.
- In 2014, large trucks accounted for 8 percent of all vehicles involved in fatal crashes.