Off-Duty Dallas Police Officer Pulls Woman from Fiery Crash
A woman is expected to make a full recovery after being rescued from a fiery crash by an off-duty police officer in Dallas.
Car Crash Victim Credits Off-Duty Office with Saving Her Life
FOX 4 News reports that 52-year-old Julie Engle was driving home when her truck broke down on Interstate 30. She called her father for help but as she was on the phone, her vehicle was struck by two other vehicles.
Off-duty Dallas County Hospital Police Officer Henry Vegas was driving by when he saw Engle’s starting to catch on fire. He stopped, exited his vehicle, and ran to Engle’s aid. With the help of other bystanders, Officer Vargas was able to pull Engle from her vehicle.
Moments after Engle was extracted, the vehicle was fully engulfed in flames.
Engle suffered 18 fractures across her ribs, torn tendons in her neck and spine, and other injuries. Fortunately, she is now recovering and credits Officer Vargas with saving her life.
Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute and 7 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Dallas Car Crash Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in a car accident in or around Dallas, Texas, call Thomas J. Henry Law for a FREE Case Consultation.
Our law firm has represented car crash victims across Texas for more than 25 years. We have helped numerous clients recover financial compensation for their injuries and damages. Now, let us help you.
We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.