Off-Duty Officer Killed in Suspected Drunk Driving Accident in Mesquite
An off-duty officer was killed in a car crash early Monday morning in Mesquite. Authorities suspect the at-fault driver may have been intoxicated at the time of the crash.
Details of the Fatal Mesquite Drunk Driving Crash
The Dallas Morning News reports the crash occurred around 1:30 am in the 21400 block of Interstate 635 where an Infinity Q50 traveling in the southbound lanes collided with a Chevrolet Malibu.
The driver of the Chevrolet, 36-year-old Mitchell Rector, died from his injuries. The driver of the Infinity, 21-year-old Elias Luevano Gonzales, sustained minor injuries.
Rector was a member of the Oakwood Police Department who was working off-duty in a construction area at the time of the crash. Gonzales was arrested on a charge of intoxication manslaughter and also faces a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon. It is unclear if the weapon charge was related to the accident.
The crash remains under investigation.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Drunk Driving Crash? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one were involved in a drunk driving crash in or around Dallas, call Thomas J. Henry. Our law firm has the resources and experience to secure maximum compensation for injured clients. We will take immediate action on your claim and work to ensure you receive the justice you deserve.
Our Dallas car accident attorneys are available 24/7 to assist you. Call now for your FREE case review.