About the Fatal San Antonio Crash
The crash happened on southbound Loop 1604 at Highway 90 in San Antonio, Texas, around 6 a.m. on Monday. According to KSAT, the passenger vehicle was traveling the wrong way on Loop 1604 when it crashed head-on into a dump truck.
After the impact, the vehicle burst into flames, killing its one occupant. Despite damage to the front of the truck, the dump truck’s driver and passenger were not injured.
No names have been released. Investigations of the cause of the crash are ongoing.
Wrong-Way Driving Statistics
The following statistics were taken from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- In 2011, TxDOT’s TransGuide System Operators logged 185 individual events involving the report of a wrong way driver in the San Antonio area.
- Of these reported wrong way drivers, there were 4 situations that resulted in a wrong way driver stopped by law enforcement, where the driver was disoriented due to a medical condition.
- There were 14 incidents that resulted in the DWI arrest of the wrong way driver without a collision.
- There were 13 wrong way driver incidents that resulted in a collision without a fatality.
- There were 7 fatalities as results of 4 collisions caused by wrong way drivers.
- The majority of wrong way drivers involved in collisions were suspected of or proven to be intoxicated.
- Approximately 80% of the reports of wrong way drivers resulted in no accident, with the wrong way driver not encountered by law enforcement.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry Law. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.