One Dead in Austin Crash Involving Amazon Truck
One person is dead following a fiery car accident involving an Amazon truck in Austin, Texas.
Details of the Fiery Austin Truck Accident
KXAN reports the accident occurred around 2:00 am Monday in the westbound lanes of State Highway 71 near Montopolis Drive.
Police say the Amazon semi-truck was parked on the shoulder of SH 71 when it was struck from behind by an SUV traveling at a high rate of speed. Upon impact, the SUV was engulfed in flames. One witness described the scene as “a big fireball basically hit the 18-wheeler.” The fire then spread to the 18-wheeler.
The driver of the SUV was killed in the crash. The driver of the Amazon truck was not reported to have any injuries.
The westbound lanes of SH 71 remained closed for several hours as crews cleared the roadway of the vehicles and debris.
Texas Trucking Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 438,000 trucking accidents in the U.S. in 2014.
- These accidents result in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities with 553 trucking-related deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 recorded deaths.
Have You Been Hit by a Large Truck? Call an Austin Truck Accident Attorney Now
If you have been involved in a crash with a semi-truck, call Thomas J. Henry. In trucking accident cases, time is of the essence to collect evidence, determine who is at fault for your injuries, and start the legal process. Our Austin trucking accident lawyers will take immediate action on your case.
Call now to speak with an experienced truck accident attorney in Austin or fill out the contact form on this page and a lawyer will reach out to you. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you and your family and offer FREE case consolations. Start your road to recovery today.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 5707 Southwest Pkwy, Suite 125 Building 2, Austin, Texas 78735 (walk-in Monday through Friday)