One Dead in South Austin Pedestrian Accident
A person is dead following a crash involving a vehicle and a pedestrian in south Austin on Monday night.
Details of the Fatal South Austin Accident
KXAN reports that the accident occurred just before 9:45 pm in the 600 block of East Ben White near Interstate 35.
Details of how the crash occurred were not available, and the accident remains under investigation.
Lanes of Ben White were closed as crews responded to the accident but were reopened soon after.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Use sidewalks whenever they’re available. If there’s no sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic.
- Always cross at intersections or marked crosswalks. Look left, then right, then left again before proceeding.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing the street. Never assume a driver sees you.
- Be visible. Wear something light or reflective after dark.
- Don’t be distracted by devices that take your eyes and ears off the road.
- As a passenger, get in or out of a vehicle on the curb side of the street.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- 4,735 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in the United States in 2013. This averages to one death every 2 hours.
- An additional 150,000 people were injured in traffic accidents in 2013.
- The majority of pedestrian deaths occur in urban areas at non-intersection locations at night.
- On average, pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely to be killed each trip than occupants of passenger vehicles.
Injured in a Pedestrian Accident? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance. Our experienced Austin injury attorneys can help you receive fair compensation for your injuries and damages. Call now for your FREE case consultation.