One Dead, One Critically Injured in Elmendorf 18-Wheeler Crash
One person is dead and another person is in critical condition following a crash between an 18-wheeler and a passenger vehicle in Bexar County.
Details of the Fatal Elmendorf 18-Wheeler Accident
According to News 4 SA, the crash occurred around 12:30 am Thursday on Interstate 37 near Southton Road.
Police arrived to find an 18-wheeler in a ditch off the interstate and a small vehicle that had suffered catastrophic damage.
One occupant of the smaller vehicle was pronounced dead at the scene, and another was transported to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. The driver of the 18-wheeler was not injured.
Both southbound lanes of traffic were closed as crews worked the scene. The crash remains under investigation.
Texas 18-Wheeler Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 4,951 people were killed in crashes involving large trucks in the United States in 2018, marking a 1-percent increase from 2017.
- Of those killed in traffic accidents involving large trucks:
- 71 percent were occupants of passenger vehicles
- 18 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 11 percent were pedestrians or bicyclists
- 77 percent of fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred on weekdays
- An additional 151,000 people were injured in trucking accidents in 2018, marking a 2-percent increase over 2017.
- Texas led the country in trucking accident deaths with 664 fatalities recorded. Texas was followed by California with 352 deaths and Florida with 321 deaths.
Need a San Antonio Semi Accident Attorney?
If you or a loved one have been injured in a crash with an 18-wheeler or large truck, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. 18-wheeler crashes are often catastrophic and can leave victims with long-lasting injuries. Some of these injuries may not be fully evident for weeks, months, or even years after the crash occurred.
Thomas J. Henry Law has represented victims of 18-wheeler accidents for nearly 30 years. We have built a reputation as a firm that can take on the largest trucking companies in the world and win.