One Dead, Several Injured in Austin Collision on Loop 360
Northbound lanes of Loop 360 were shut down near the Pennybacker Bridge Friday morning following a fatal crash that also left several other people hospitalized.
Police Investigating Cause of Fatal Austin Collision
According to KXAN, the crash occurred around 1 am at the Plaza on the Lake. At least five people were taken to the hospital, two of whom were listed in critical condition.
A preliminary investigation suggests a white four-door sedan carrying four people was traveling north on Loop 360 when it rear-ended a red SUV. The four occupants were hospitalized, and one later died.
The driver of the SUV was ejected from their vehicle and was rushed to the hospital by Austin-Travis County EMS. The driver suffered life-threatening injuries.
Northbound lanes of 360 were closed from Westlake Drive to Courtyard Drive.
The accident remains under investigation.
Texas Car Accident Statistics 2018
Information provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- There were 12,161 serious injury crashes in Texas in 2018 with 14,908 people sustaining a serious injury.
- There were 701 people killed in crashes occurring in intersections or related to an intersection.
- There were 548 people killed in head-on crashes in 2018.
- There were no deathless days on Texas roadways in 2018.
- There were 940 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes where a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is 26% of the total number of people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash? Our experienced Austin car accident lawyers are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real results for clients suffering from serious and debilitating car accident injuries and was selected as one of the 2021’s Best Car Accident Lawyers in Austin by Expertise.
Let our attorneys navigate the legal process and deal with the insurance companies so you can focus on getting better. Call today to speak with an attorney or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 4401 West Gate Blvd Suite 200, Austin, TX 78745 (walk-in Monday through Friday)