One man was killed and two others were hospitalized as a result of a two-vehicle crash in Corpus Christi on Sunday.
Details of the Fatal Corpus Christi Crash
The Corpus Christi Caller-Times reports the crash involved two Ford trucks on South Padre Island Drive near Paul Jones Avenue around 7:20 pm. Both vehicles overturned and two occupants were ejected from one of the vehicles.
A preliminary investigation and several witnesses reports suggest both vehicles were traveling westbound on SPID when one of the vehicles drove in front of the other and hit its brakes. The trucks collided, went off the roadway, and came to rest at the 8400 block of SPID westbound.
The two occupants who were ejected were riding in the front vehicle. The front passenger of that vehicle, a 45-year-old man, was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver, a 36-year-old man, and a rear passenger, a 33-year-old man, were hospitalized.
The driver of the first vehicle is believed to be at fault and is suspected of driving under the influence of an intoxicating substance other than alcohol. He may face charges pending the presentation of the case to the District Attorney’s Office.
The driver of the second vehicle, Nicholas Guerrero, 22, was found to be under the influence of alcohol and marijuana and was charged with Driving While Intoxicated.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Collision? Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Corpus Christi
Were you injured in a motor vehicle collision in the state of Texas? Our Corpus Christi car wreck lawyers are available 24/7 to help you and provide you with a free consultation. We will start work on your case right away, offering sound legal advice, speaking to the insurance companies on your behalf, gathering evidence for your case, and even helping with property damage and medical bills on qualified personal injury cases. We handle the insurance company and all negotiations, depositions, mediations, litigation, settlements, court appearances, and everything in between to ensure you get a fair settlement or outcome for your family. These are just a few of the reasons Expertise.com has recognized Thomas J. Henry as one of the Best Car Accident Lawyers in Corpus Christi. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Our Corpus Christi Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 361-254-7873 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 521 Starr Street, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401 (walk-in Monday through Friday)