Details of the Las Vegas Bus Crash
According to FOX News, the crash occurred around 8:30 am Thursday and involved a Clark County School District bus that was en route to Bailey Middle School. 48 students were on the bus when the crash occurred.
14 students and the bus driver were transported to local hospitals. A minor in the other vehicle was also hospitalized with critical injuries. The driver of the passenger vehicle was killed.
The injuries sustained by the students were all considered non-life-threatening.
Authorities are still investigating the cause of the fatal crash.
School Transportation Accident Statistics
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 1,344 people killed in school-transportation-related crashes recorded between 2004 and 2013. This averages to 134 fatalities per year.
- Of the 1,344 fatalities, only 8 percent were occupants of school transportation vehicles.
- Most (71%) of the people who lost their lives in these crashes were occupants of other vehicles involved in the crashes.
- Nonoccupants, including pedestrians, bicyclists, etc., accounted for 21 percent of the fatalities.
- Among the 106 occupants killed in school transportation vehicles between 2004 and 2013, 45 were drivers and 61 were passengers.